Quantectum is a young, dynamic, and fast-growing, (Insur-)Tech company. Originating from the sole privately owned earthquake-related Research & Development center worldwide, Quantectum operates today what we believe are the two most advanced time-dependent statistical and physical earthquake forecasting platforms on the market.
With our team of geophysicists, seismologists, statisticians, insurance and game theory experts, blockchain specialists, and marketers, we are in a unique position to offer parametric earthquake protection via smart contracts directly to consumers and businesses – covering also the most disadvantaged and vulnerable regions.
As one of our core competencies, we also provide seamless data, insights, and earthquake models to selected industries and governments.
Working at Quantectum
This is your opportunity to join an innovative Tech company and work with an outstanding international team of highly qualified professionals from different scientific fields. Quantectum operates at the forefront of scientific research and business innovation. This applies not only to our market-leading earthquake forecasting platforms, we are also about to launch the very first parametric earthquake protection on a smart contract worldwide, thereby playing a vanguard role in disintermediating the NatCat (re)insurance value chain.
We combine enthusiasm, accountability, a dynamic work environment, and fast decision-making with PhD level expertise. We offer an international, technologically advanced environment, perfect for personal and professional development.
This role is remote, with a strong preference for a Ljubljana, Slovenia based individual (a valid EU working visa is required for non-EU citizens).
Reporting to: Product Owner for Smart Contracts
Team: Smart Contracts Team
Location: Remote, with a strong preference for Ljubljana, Slovenia
Purpose of this role
As we are about to launch the very first parametric earthquake protection on the Ethereum blockchain as NFTs/smart contract, we are looking for a developer role that will support the Product Owner by taking on the responsibility for developing back-end solutions that interact with 3rd party APIs, implement microservices and facilitate testing and deployment using the Scrum methodology.
We are looking for a senior back-end developer with sufficient front-end skills to support the MVP development and lead all efforts related to the back-end development.
Substantial efforts have been already spent with an external service company on defining the architecture, the capabilities, features and creating a high-level scope backlog. It is foreseeable that the development of the MVP will have started by the time you join. The first months you will be working hand-in-hand with the service company and our internal team until the transfer of knowledge has been completed. During this transition period you are expected to understand and challenge the overall architecture and development plan. After this initial phase you will take on the lead for the development of the entire back-end.
As a Tech company we are permanently developing new solutions. Over time it is therefore foreseen that you may be involved in several projects simultaneously. While creating new solutions from scratch you will have to improve the performance, monitor and maintain the process flow and also support the transition towards more advanced solutions to assure scaling in accordance with demand.
Key Contribution Areas
- Develop high quality, scalable, robust, and well tested web applications.
- Understand the Parametric earthquake protection smart contracts completely in and out.
- Interact and improve infrastructure that facilitates communication between large scale statistical, analytical, ML models and end users.
- Optimizing and ensuring speed, stability and scalability of our web application pipeline
- Develop simple yet functional frontend interfaces.
- Documentation through code and document reviews, release documentation, and continuous improvement of the software development process.
Functional or Technical Knowledge and Skills and Qualifications Required
- Full professional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Post-graduation in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years’ of combined experience in Back-end web development with PHP, MySQL/MariaDB and Python (Flask or similar technologies is a plus).
- Maintaining software quality through tests and tools (e.g. Ruff, ESLint)
- Experience with security and deployment is a plus.
- Blockchain and Smart Contracts / NFT related experience is not a pre-condition but highly appreciated.
- Industry experience in insurance or gambling or in the field of seismology are not a must but a plus.
- Proficiency in basic office applications (Word processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Charts and Diagrams, Emails).
Personal Capabilities Required
- Analytical, problem-solving, communicative, organizational, drive innovation and continuous improvement approach.
- Multitasking ability.
- Ability to critically question to help the team foresee the future problems.
- Comfortable communicating with all levels within the organization.
- High levels of enthusiasm, commitment, and energy are required.
- Results-oriented with a “can-do” attitude; adaptable, flexible, and resourceful to work through short and long-term issues.
- Flexible and pragmatic approach to the demands of this role, the area of responsibility, and the changing needs of the business.
- Capable of building strong, meaningful relationships with internal and external parties alike, with demonstrable influencing skills .
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical members of the team.