Quantectum is a young, dynamic, and fast-growing, (Insur-)Tech company. Originating from the sole privately owned earthquake-related Research & Development center worldwide, Quantectum operates today what we believe are the two most advanced time-dependent statistical and physical earthquake forecasting platforms on the market.
With our team of geophysicists, seismologists, statisticians, insurance and game theory experts, blockchain specialists, and marketers, we are in a unique position to offer parametric earthquake protection via smart contracts directly to consumers and businesses – also covering the most disadvantaged and vulnerable regions.
As one of our core competencies, we also provide seamless data, insights, and earthquake models to selected industries and governments.
Working at Quantectum
This is your opportunity to join an innovative Tech company and work with an outstanding international team of highly qualified professionals from different scientific fields. Quantectum operates at the forefront of scientific research and business innovation. This applies not only to our market-leading earthquake forecasting platforms, we are also about to launch the very first parametric earthquake protection on a smart contract worldwide, thereby playing a vanguard role in disintermediating the NatCat (re)insurance value chain.
We combine enthusiasm, accountability, a dynamic work environment, and fast decision-making with Ph.D. level expertise. We offer an international, technologically advanced environment, perfect for personal and professional development.
This role is remote, with a preference for a Ljubljana, Slovenia-based individual (a valid EU working visa is required for non-EU citizens).
Role Title: Scrum Master & Technical Business Analyst / Quality Assurance Tester
Reporting to: Product Owner for Smart Contracts
Team: Smart Contracts Team
Location: Remote, with a preference for Ljubljana, Slovenia
Purpose of this role
As we are about to launch the very first parametric earthquake protection on the Ethereum blockchain as NFTs/smart contract, we are looking for a key role that will support the Product Owner by taking on the responsibility for planning, developing, testing, and deploying the MVP applying Scrum methodology.
Because this is the first hire related to the Scrum methodology, we are looking for a senior well-rounded technical Business Analyst able and willing to take on the additional role of a Scrum Master.
While having both hats on you will initially also have to coordinate Quality Assurance related tasks and drive the evolution of the project to the next stage. Over time you will be expected to scale up the Scrum team and take on the responsibility for its effectiveness.
It is important to mention that you are not starting from scratch as substantial efforts have already been spent with an external service company on defining the architecture, capabilities, features and creating a high-level scope backlog. It is foreseeable that the development of the MVP will have started by the time you join. During the first months, you will be working hand-in-hand with the service company and our internal team until the transfer of knowledge has been completed. From then on, you will drive the MVP development on your own together with the Product Owner.
Key Contribution Areas
- Understand the Parametric earthquake protection smart contracts completely in and out.
- Coordinate all efforts related to the project by organising the following meetings: Daily standups, sprint planning meetings, sprint reviews, etc.
- Help the Product Owner find techniques for effective product goal definition and product backlog management.
- Influence the removal of impediments to the Scrum Team’s progress.
- Ensure that all Scrum events take place and are positive, productive, and kept within the timebox.
- Facilitate stakeholder collaboration as requested or needed and bridge the business and technical teams.
- Create and Review the User Stories, the Capabilities, the Features, etc., together with the Product Owner and make sure they meet the acceptance criteria. Make sure that every business rule is covered, and the functionality of the User Story is proper.
- Anticipate and analyse the needs of the customers to find solutions to address their problems.
- Organise the product backlog based on the prioritization provided by the Product Owner.
- Prepare documents like wireframes, design flow, UI, etc., as and when required.
- Curate the deliverables within JIRA and allocate the responsibilities to the team of front-end and back-end developers, Smart Contract coders, DevOps Engineers, etc.
- Initially you will also be required to fulfill the responsibilities of a QA tester until the role has been recruited or outsourced: Define Acceptance Criteria, create Test Plans, perform functional and regression testing, conduct UAT, etc.
Functional or Technical Knowledge and Skills and Qualifications Required
- Full professional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Post-graduation in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in one of these roles Scrum Master, Technical BA or QA. A combination of at least 2 of these roles and / or any other relevant experience such as solution architect, DevOps Engineer, etc. will give you a considerable advantage.
- A certification in one or more Agile methodologies would be a plus.
- Industry experience in insurance or gambling or in the field of seismology is not a must but a plus.
- Blockchain and Smart Contracts / NFT-related experience is not a pre-condition but highly appreciated.
- Ability to implement a fine-tuned organizational system as the team requires structure and planning for everyone to stay on track.
- Ability to conduct a system and enterprise architecture analysis and to understand and challenge the technical terms and processes in place.
- Familiarity with requirement techniques such as informal modelling, capabilities, use cases, user stories, etc used by Agile teams.
- Expert in conceptual modelling; visualize possible solutions innovatively.
- Ability to file the requirements based on the project.
- Experience with Project Management software such as JIRA / Confluence.
- Software testing skills such as Test cases and manual testing, test scripts, automated tests, etc.
- Knowledge of database types and functions, including relational databases, such as MySQL, SQL Server, and Oracle, Non-relational databases, cloud databases, real-time databases, etc.
- Proficiency in basic office applications (Word processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Charts and Diagrams, Emails).
Personal Capabilities Required
- Analytical, problem-solving, communicative, organizational, drive innovation, and continuous improvement approach.
- Multitasking ability.
- Ability to critically question to help the team foresee future problems.
- Comfortable communicating with all levels within the organization.
- High levels of enthusiasm, commitment, and energy are required.
- Results-oriented with a “can-do” attitude; adaptable, flexible, and resourceful to work through short and long-term issues.
- Flexible and pragmatic approach to the demands of this role, the area of responsibility, and the changing needs of the business.
- Capable of building strong, meaningful relationships with internal and external parties alike, with demonstrable influencing skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical members of the team.